Sitting near the intersection of Broadway street and 7th street in downtown, Clifton’s Cafeteria invites strolling pedestrians to enjoy its luxury cafeteria-style dining.
The multi-storied restaurant is dimly lit, the exposed wood furniture contrasting against the pops of green foliage. Stuffed woodland creatures decorate the space while a grandiose tree commands attention and provides an outdoorsy ambiance.
Customers line up, often beginning outside the door and against the building, waiting for their chance to fill up their trays with hearty entrees, such as pork ribs and lamb shanks.
Clifford Clinton opened the restaurant in 1935. After a multi-million dollar renovation, it reopened in 2015.
According to latimes.com, a working neon sign was discovered during the restaurant’s renovations. The light was turned on approximately 80 years prior and had been forgotten about and left on until its rediscovery in 2012. It is estimated that the sign accumulated about $17,000 worth of electricity bills throughout the years.